Neurology in-patient aftercare
What to expect after an in-patient stay
- A discharge plan will have been discussed with each patient on discharge.
- The discharge letter, which will be discussed with the patient, will include plans for neurology, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and speech and language therapy follow-up appointments as necessary, either locally or at the Royal Free Hospital.
- A written copy of the discharge plan will be given to the patient and sent to their GP, when leaving for home.
- Occasionally patients will be transferred back to the hospital they were initially referred from and the follow-up plan will be specified in the discharge letter and explained to the patient and referring hospital.
- If there are any problems after discharge these will be dealt with by the patient’s GP or the neurology team as appropriate. The neurology team can be contacted by ringing the neurology registrar who supervised the patient’s care.
page last reviewed: 13 August 2009